Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Who else has miscarried?

According to statistics, 40-50% of all pregnancies end in miscarriages. Understandably, most of those end within days of an expected period - so most women think their period was just a little behind schedule, and think nothing of it.

But what about all the women that have miscarried? Supposedly 20% of women have miscarried and do know that it happened. I don't know a single person who miscarried. Not one friend or even an aquantance. It's like I'm the only one with bad eggs and an unlucky uterus. Its been strange for me, because we only told a few people we were pregnant, and then had to tell them that we were going to miscarry. As a woman, I want to talk about what's happening to me! I want to commiserate with other women, and feel like I'm not the only one. Yet how do I say to someone, "hey, I'm pregnant, but not for long!" That's just not an easy conversation. You can physically see people start squirming and wishing they were anywhere other than with you. It's almost like I have leprosy, or AIDS, or some other contageous disease.

And, if I don't tell anyone, then I get to endure the wonderful, over-used phrase, "so, are you pregnant yet?" And if I share with them, then I get the "well, at least you got pregnant!" I know this is supposed to make me feel better, but it doesn't.

No comments: