Thursday, December 18, 2008

Coming Out

I "came out" to my boss on Monday, and then to my entire staff on Tuesday. I couldn't hide it anymore. Word got back to me that a couple of people had asked because my belly was so ginormous. Either that, or I had been having LOTS of Christmas cheer. You really should see my belly, it is pretty impressive. 

When I told everyone, I cried. It was like relieving a huge amount of pressure. It was really getting difficult trying to disguise my growing mass. Covering it up with a big bulky sweater or one of those high-waisted shirts just made it look bigger, and bulkier. Now I can just let it all out and not worry about it! 

It took all of 10 minutes for the news to circulate through the rumor mill. I kid you not, I had a steady stream of people stopping by my office, along with all kinds of emails, congratulating me. Which was nice, although embarrassing. I know for me, when I saw ladies "come out" at work, I would immediately envision her, um, "doing it" with her husband. Err, ICK! You just don't normally think about coworkers doing the nasty. I wish I could set all their minds at ease and reassure them that we didn't "do it" to get "in the family way." BigB just jacked into a cup, and I took three kajillion shots and put my legs up in the air. That's how the magic happened. Pure magic. 

The Christmas party went great despite the snow. People showed up and everyone drank and ate to their hearts content. I was the perfect hostess...filling people's glasses and fetching cold ones. Not my usual party stature. Usually I'm the one getting just a tad too toasty and making an ass of myself.

Had our 14 week OB appt on Monday. Everything was fine. All the tests came back good, so we're just chugging right along. She said, "you've gained a bit of weight since last time, so that's good." I've gained seven pounds since conception. I think I'm a little over what I should, but hey, the doc said it was "good," so I wont worry too much.

It's been snowing for days here. I didn't have to go to work yesterday or today. I've been the biggest lazy person. It feels awesome.

4 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

That is so delightful, lazy and "out". I send my best for a wonderful holiday to you and your hubby, little one too!

Leslie Laine said...

Good for you - that's so exciting, and a great big step!! :)

Petrucia said...

it must be a cool and interesting feeling to have something that feels intimate and personal now open to public comment. :) It is sure a big step. How great that your belly is now free to be shown in all its bulkyness.
I was also the one drinking a bit much at my parties, but I guess that while on the no-alcohol regime, I'll be a much more gracious hostess. :))

Christina said...

Congrats on 'coming out' and I'm glad it went well for you. I sure wish it were snowing like crazy here!

iclw
christina from
unquestionablelove.blogspot.com